Partnering Cosmopolitan Singapore, foodpanda will be pledging $1 for every order made through their app or website to donate to Children's Cancer Foundation from 1 to 31 March 2015. The campaign, 'Meals that Heal', will provide children on cancer treatment with a hope of permanently returning home, for a hearty meal with their loved ones.
One of the participating restaurants on foodpanda - Maki-san, has thus kindly hosted this event to make our own panda-maki and to create awareness of the 'Meals that Heal' campaign.
With the demonstration of their chef who showed us the steps to making a panda-maki, we realize that it is pretty difficult to manage with the sticky Japanese rice, much less to make a panda out of it! (Tips: wet your hands or gloves with water to prevent rice sticking)
Their skilled chefs who tend to make everything seem much easier and neater
Panda Maki Instruction Guide
*Thick slices of salmon as the eyes and ears
*Thin slices of salmon as make the nose and mouth
Step 1: Making the Panda Facial Features
- Place salmon strip at the edge of the nori sheet
- Wrap nori around
- Repeat until you have 6 strips for 2 ears, 2 eyes, 1 nose and 1 mouth
Step 2: Preparing the Roll
- Place a handful of rice in the centre of the nori
- Make sure rice reaches to the top and bottom of the nori sheet
Step 3: Creating the Panda Face
- Take a thin strip of salmon and place it flat in the middle (panda's mouth)
- Add thin layer of white sushi rice on top
- Place another thin salmon strip on top of this and cover with more rice (panda's nose)
- Place two thick salmon strips on top of the column (panda's eyes)
- Add more sushi rice between the two
Step 4: Rolling the Panda Face
- Take one side of the nori and curl it up
- Repeat with the other side, ensuring that the two sides overlap at the top
- Compress the roll
Step 5: Making the Outer Roll
- Take 2 sheets of nori and glue them together using rice
- Take the brown sushi rice and cover three quarters of nori sheet
- Take 2 chopsticks and press them into the centre of the brown rice where you want the ears to be
- Remove the chopsticks and place 2 pieces of salmon in the grooves
Step 6: Putting the Roll together
- Take the panda face roll and place it on top of the ears
Our version, which looked slightly different, but hey beauty lies within when you slice them up!
So here's our fatty pandas, spot their double-chins!
|GET CREATIVE WITH YOUR MAKI!|
At Maki-san, you get to choose your own ingredients, from the rice to the individual fillings like tuna. tamago, ikura, avocado etc. Everything is so customizable it's kinda like a froyo bar where you can choose your own toppings.
Auto-dispensing of rice, with a choice of either white rice or brown rice for your maki
The array of ingredients to choose from!
Thanks to Maki-san, we've gotten our own customized makis!
|Owner of Maki-san|
There are 3 sizes to choose from, with their respective prices:
- Little San (1 base, 4 essentials, 1 sprinkle, 1 house dressing): S$7.90
- Big San (Little San + 2 additionals): S$9.90
- Mega San (Big San + 1 special): S$11.90
Here's their order form to prep you before visiting!
In the month of March, when you place orders on foodpanda.sg, checkout with the code 'MEALSHEAL15' and know that while you're eating with your loved ones, kids from Children Cancer Foundation are also benefiting with $1 donated for every purchase made with the code.
#B1-17/18 The Cathay,
2 Handy Road
Tel: +65 6737 8772
P.S. Photos were taken with D750, with thanks to Nikon Singapore!
P.P.S. Big thank you to Pearlyn for the invite and Maki-san team for hosting!
, by tmcy